Christmas Kindness: Support an older person this December
Christmas is going to be a very different experience for all of us, not least the older people whom we support. At the close of what has been an unsettling and isolating year, many are looking ahead to a festive season spent alone.
How can I help?
We’re inviting you to write a personalised Christmas card to an older, isolated person living in our community. You can either hand make your own card at home or simply type a message in our form here, which our dedicated staff will add into a beautiful card on your behalf. Your card will be given along with a small gift, to make a real difference to someone’s experience this December.
We also invite you to donate to our projects supporting older people all year round, if you are able to do so. Cards and gifts have already been generously donated by our partners, so be assured that 100% of your donation will go towards reducing loneliness and isolation across our communities in 2021.
If you would like to create your own card at home, see below for more detailed guidance. Note that all cards will be dispatched from our community centre by our team, where we have full Covid-safe procedures in place to ensure the welfare and safety of all recipients.
Making your own card
- We would love to receive handmade cards e.g. drawing, painting, collage, origami
- We cannot use cards featuring religious themes or cards containing sharp material (e.g. metal)
- We welcome donations through the link above but cannot use cards containing additional gifts e.g. money/gift vouchers (as for fairness we will provide the same gifts to all our older people)
- COVID19 government guidelines including handwashing must be observed during crafting of cards and followed right through to posting. They will be quarantined on arrival at our centre.
- Cards should first be placed in an unsealed envelope, to allow us to add the older person’s name inside and their postal address on the outside.
- This should then be placed into a larger envelope addressed to: Christmas Kindness, The Reed, Convent Gardens, London, W11 1NJ. It is fine to deliver by hand if living locally, but please put through the postbox rather than asking staff to open the door, to observe safe social distancing.
- Handmade cards must be received at The Reed by Thursday 10th December to allow for sufficient quarantine time. Online messages must be received by Monday 14th December.